For December, we read Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross. Here are the thoughts from the group:
- Only one person didn’t read the book and one person didn’t finish it before book club.
- Some people liked the distance in the book, meaning the lack of emotion. It made the difficult subject matter easier to swallow.
- Many people thought the book was too convenient, especially the deaths involved.
- Almost everyone thought the book was slow-paced most of the time and then rushed in other parts, especially the end.
- Most people thought the ending was very anti-climactic.
- Some people really like the idea of Joan existing and others don’t care.
- Because none of us come from a Catholic background, most people thought the hierarchy was confusing.
- Some people agree with Joan’s choice not to give up her independence to go with Gerold and others thought she was stupid and that’s what got her killed.
Have you read Pope Joan? If so, what did you think? Do you agree or disagree with any of the group’s thoughts?
For next month, we’re reading Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys.