I’m starting a new feature called, “Love Them or Hate Them?” Weekly or monthly, I haven’t decided yet, I’ll start a discussion about something in the book/movie world and whether you love or hate it.
I thought I’d talk about audio books for my first “Love Them or Hate Them?” post. I don’t think I can decide one way or the other if I love or hate audio books. I have kind of a love/hate relationship with them.
I love them because:
- I can listen to books I’ve already read and get ready for new releases in a series without taking the time to physically reread the series
- I can listen to them during times I can’t read (e.g. cleaning, at the gym, in the car, crocheting, cooking, at work)
But, I hate them because:
- My mind wanders a lot and unless I’ve read the book before, I can’t follow the story well enough to know what’s going on
- I don’t like to count listening to an audio book as “reading” since I don’t actually “read” the book
- I don’t always like the narrator and how they pronounce names or words, how they do the characters’ voices, or how they inflect their voice
- It takes a lot longer to get through an audio book than it does to just read it
Based on my reasons, it looks like I hate them more than I love them. But, I know they have their place and I know my second reason for hating them is because of my own issues. Do you count audio books as part of your number of books read?
What do you think? Do you love them or hate them?